Emperor Nicholas II tests new uniforms for the soldiers of his army in 1909

089a

Emperor Nicholas II tests new uniforms for the soldiers of his army. Livadia 1909

In 1909, Vladimir Aleksandrovich Sukhomlinov (1848-1926) the Minister of War was at work on an important reform, the determination of the type of clothing and equipment to be worn and carried in future by every Russian infantryman. When considering the modifications proposed by the Minister, the following provides a convincing proof of the extreme conscientiousness and sense of duty which inspired Nicholas II, as head of the army. The Tsar wanted full knowledge of the facts, and decided to test the proposed new equipment personally.

089b

Emperor Nicholas II tests new uniforms for the soldiers of his army. Livadia 1909

He told only the Alexander Alexandrovich Mossolov (1854-1939), who served as Minister of the Court and the Commander of the Palace of his intention. They had the full equipment, new model, of a soldier in a regiment camping near Livadia brought to the palace. There was no falang, no making to exact measure for the Tsar; he was in the precise position of any recruit who is put into the shirt, pants, and uniform chosen for him, and given his rifle, pouch, and cartridges. The Tsar was careful also to take the regulation supply of bread and water. Thus equipped, he went off alone, covered twenty kilometres out and back on a route chosen at random, and returned to the palace. Forty kilometres — twenty-five miles — is the full length of a forced march; rarely are troops required to do more in a single day.

089c

Emperor Nicholas II tests new uniforms for the soldiers of his army. Livadia 1909

The Tsar returned at dusk, after eight or nine hours of marching, rest-time included. A thorough examination showed, beyond any possibility of challenge, that there was not a blister or abrasion of any sort on his body. The boots had not hurt his feet. Next day the reform received the Sovereign’s approval.

The Tsar regarded himself as a soldier — the first professional soldier in his Empire. In this respect he would make no compromise: his duty was to do what every soldier had to do.

Source: At the Court of the Last Tsar by A.A. Mossolov. English edition published in 1935

© Paul Gilbert. 9 August 2019

Reconciliation Begins: Russia’s State Duma honours the memory of Nicholas II with a minute of silence

Ïëåíàðíîå çàñåäàíèå Ãîñäóìû ÐÔ 17 èþëÿ 2019 ãîäà

Members of the State Duma for the first time observed a minute of silence in memory of the last Russian emperor Nicholas II, and all those killed in the Civil War (1917-1922)

Today – 17th July 2019 – Russia’s State Duma for the first time observed a minute of silence in memory of the last Russian emperor Nicholas II and all those killed in the Civil War. (1917-1922)

According to Duma Speaker Vyacheslav Volodin,”reconciliation begins when we all understand that this cannot be repeated and this is unacceptable.”

“Today we are making a proposal to honour the memory of the last Russian tsar, to honour the memory of the innocent victims – all those who died in the crucible of the Civil War,” the speaker addressed his colleagues, who after these words, rose from their seats.

It should come as no surprise that members of the Communist Party of the Russian Federation, did not comply with the moment of silence.

Step to national consolidation

The first deputy head of United Russia’s Duma Andrei Isaev noted that representatives of all political parties, regardless of their ideological positions, honoured the memory of victims of the Civil War by standing, calling it “a very important step towards national consolidation and reconciliation.” 

“This means that all political forces represented in Russia’s parliament are against civil confrontation, for settling disputes and conflicts arising through a peaceful democratic process,”

In conclusion, Isaev added, “many deputies are in favour of making 17th July, a memorial day, in memory of the deaths of the Imperial family, and to also honour the memory of all those who died as a result of the Civil War in Russia.”

This is the first time in the history of Russia’s State Duma, that they honored the memory of Nicholas II – truly unprecedented!

© Paul Gilbert. 17 July 2019

How Russia’s own Bloody Sunday turned Nicholas II into a public enemy

081

“In 1905, workers marched to Nicholas II’s palace with a peaceful petition demanding broader rights. Instead, they were met with gunfire, which completely destroyed Nicholas’s reputation and sent the Russian monarchy hurtling toward its eventual demise,” writes Oleg Yegorov in the July 15th 2019 edition of ‘Russia Beyond’

– Click HERE to read the article How Russia’s own Bloody Sunday turned Nicholas II into a public enemy. My personal comments are below – PG

***

There is no question, that “Bloody Sunday” was a tragic event, which resulted in the deaths and injuries of innocent men, women and children. It is a tragedy which continues to haunt the legacy of Russia’s last tsar to this very day. Russian President Vladimir Putin has on more than one occasion, publicly referred to Nicholas II as “Nicholas the Bloody.” 

There are a couple of interesting facts which I would like to add to Oleg Yegorov’s article, on the events of Sunday, 22 January [O.S. 9 January] 1905, which are often overlooked or simply ignored by other Western writers and historians.

The Winter Palace had ceased to be the residence of Nicholas II and his family in 1895. From then on the Winter Palace became little more than an administrative office block and a place of rare official entertaining. As Yegorov rightly points out, the tsar was not in residence on the day of the demonstration.

It is important to note, that upon finding out about the idea of ​​submitting the petition to the tsar, members of three revolutionary party organizations: the Social Democrats ( Mensheviks ), the Social Democrats ( Bolsheviks ), and the Social Revolutionaries, decided to swell the ranks of the “peaceful demonstrators,” on that fateful day.

The number of victims is greatly exaggerated by many historians. According to the Tsar’s official records: 130 dead and 299 injured; while anti-government sources claimed any where from 1,000 to 4,000 dead.

That evening, the events in St. Petersburg were reported to Nicholas II. The emperor was distressed and wrote in his diary:

“A terrible day! There were serious disturbance in Petersburg as a result of the workers wishing to reach the Winter Palace. The troops were forced to open fire in several parts of the town, there were many killed and wounded. Lord, how painful and how sad!” 

Photos: Father Georgy Gapon (1870-1906) ; the house in Ozerki, where Gapon was killed

Father Georgy Gapon (1870-1906) was a charismatic speaker and effective organizer who took an interest in the working and lower classes of the Russian cities. However, Fr. Gapon also had a hidden dark side, which has been proven by post-Soviet scholars – the priest was a police informant. 

After Bloody Sunday, Gapon fled to Europe, but returned by the end of 1905, and resumed contact with the Okhrana. On 26 March 1906, Gapon arrived for a meeting at a rented cottage outside St. Petersburg. A month later, his body was found hanged. Gapon had been murdered by three members of the Socialist Revolutionary Party, after they had discovered that Gapon was a police informant.

Finally, it is interesting to draw attention to the provocative rumours spread by the Bolsheviks and later the Soviets, who claimed that “tsarist troops shot workers on the orders of Nicholas II” (which for obvious reasons later became the official point of view in Soviet historiography, and was never researched or even discussed by Soviet historians). Even more outrageous, was the claim that the tsar “personally participated in the shootings, allegedly shooting at the demonstrators with a machine gun”!!

© Paul Gilbert. 15 July 2019

Contemporary Orders Honouring Nicholas II

orders

The following article is just one of many, which reflect my personal interest in Nicholas II. Since the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, Russia’s reassessment of his life and reign have shifted significantly. The establishment and distribution of orders and medals in his name is just one indication of the positive direction this reassessment is heading, while at the same acknowledging the enormous contribution he made during his 22+ year (1894-1917) reign.

I have known of two of the three orders for some years now, however, it has been an arduous task to find any documents about any of them. Information provided by a phaleristics group in Russia recently, has now allowed me to complete this article.

I would like to point out that I am not an expert on orders and awards, therefore, I am appealing to readers, who may be able to provide me with additional information. I would also appreciate any errors be brought to my attention at the following email:  royalrussia@yahoo.com – PG

*  *  *

After the canonization of the the Sovereign Emperor Nicholas II and his family by the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR) in 1981, two new orders were established simultaneously: “Order of Saint Nicholas II” and “Order of The Holy Passion-bearer Tsar Nicholas”. Both awards are awarded for merits in the revival and advancement of the finest Russian traditions which contribute to the prosperity of the state. Holders of the order include individuals, politicians, scientists, athletes, artists, among others.

Order of Saint Nicholas II / Святой Николай II

078b

The highest international public award was established in 1988 by the descendants of the Romanov dynasty and the noble family of Dmitrievs, the founders of the Imperial Society of Russia (IOR) charity foundation. The order was was established to mark the 70th anniversary of the murders of the Imperial family in Ekaterinburg. The order is issued on the means and donations of the Board of Trustees. Nominees are approved by the Expert Council of the IOR. Presentation of the laureates is carried out both by state authorities of different levels and by public or business associations. The Order of Saint Nicholas II is presented in a solemn atmosphere, with the involvement of the media and the general public. A number of orders have been issued posthumously. The unique insignia remains in the possession of the recipient for life and can be inherited.

078d

Description

The Order has three degrees, for which the insignia are:

Ist Class: gold, diamonds, white enamel on the rays of the cross, red enamel framing

2nd Class: silver, sapphires or aquamarines, blue enamel on the rays of the cross, red framing

3rd Class: Alloy of non-ferrous metals with gilding, rubies or tourmalines, red enamel on the rays of the cross, blue framing

The founder of the Imperial Society of Russia (IOR), hereditary nobleman Valery Dmitriev, the developer and manufacturer of the Heroldmeister Kiev non-state enterprise designed the order. All three Classes represent the so-called Templar Cross, each ray of which is made in the form of three symmetrical folds. The central is covered with enamel, the side ones are made of base metal and decorated with a relief pattern. Between the rays are large imperial crowns inlaid with precious stones. The whole composition is framed with an enamelled ribbon, the color of which depends on the degree of the award.

In the center – a medallion, also trimmed with precious stones along the rim. Inside on an enamel background is a profile portrait of the last Russian tsar and the inscription in a circle: “Saint Nicholas II.” The reverse contains the date of establishment – 1988, the lower beam of the cross is stamped with the serial number of the mark. The pad is a bas-relief image of the imperial crown. The Order is attached to it with the aid of the ear and ring. The size of the cross at the extreme points is 45 mm, the total height of the product is 75 mm.

Order of The Holy Passion-bearer Tsar Nicholas
Святой страстотерпец царь Николай

078c

On 19th May 2008, at the initiative of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR), another order was established, similar to Saint Nicholas II. It received the status of an international religious public award and is awarded to both civilians and the military. The direct founders: the organization Orthodox Mission for the Revival of the Spiritual Values ​​of the Russian People; Orthodox Troop Mission; and the International Award Committee of “Glory to Russia”. The statute of the award states that nominees may be persons whose activities “are aimed at strengthening Russia, the spiritual development of the people, and the protection and preservation of Orthodox values.” Candidates can be nominated to members of the Award Committee, representatives of monarchical organizations in Russia, clergymen of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad and holders of the Order.

078f

Description

The Order is an eight-pointed silver-plated star, on which is laid a cross, covered with red enamel. On its upper beam is depicted the imperial crown, on the lower is Heaven’s rose, one of the symbols of the Virgin Mary. The right and left sides are decorated with heraldic crosses. In the central part there is an oval medallion trimmed with enamel, inside it there is an image of the Emperor’s canonized face. The inscription on the blue enamel bezel: “Holy Martyr Tsar Nicholas.” The reverse contains the number of the award and the year of establishment “2008”. Medal mount – screw with clip. Holders wear the order on the right side of the chest, below the state awards of the Russian Federation, or around the neck on a ribbon.

Recipients of the Order of The Holy Passion-bearer Tsar Nicholas include:

Chairman of the Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna Charitable Foundation Mrs. Olga Kulikovsky (top)

Russian historian and author Alexander Bokhanov, 1944-2019 (bottom left);

Russian historian and author Pyotr Multatuli (bottom right)

Bokhanov and Multatuli are recognized as Russia’s leading experts on the life and reign of the Sovereign Emperor Nicholas II.

All three recipients have devoted years of research, writing and public speaking to help clear the name of Russia’s much slandered tsar.

 

Holy Royal Passion-bearer Nicholas / Святой страстотерпец царь Николай078a

In addition to public awards, there is also a badge honouring the Sovereign Emperor Nicholas II. It is carried out in the form of the St. George Cross, either in form identical to the prototype, or against the background of a four-pointed star. In the center there is a medallion with bearing the tsar’s profile and a circular inscription: “EMPEROR NIKOLAI II RUSSIA”.

078e

The mark is made of brass, the rays of the cross are covered with black enamel. It can be attached to the pentagonal strap with St. George ribbon. In the version with a star, the imperial crown is depicted on the upper beam of the cross, on the lower one – the personal monogram of Nicholas II. In addition to brass, nickel silver alloy is also used.

The order badge was issued twice in a limited edition by order of the St. Petersburg public organization Cossack Convoy in Memory of the Emperor Nicholas II: in 2017 to the 100th anniversary of the death of the Russian Empire; in 2018, to the 100th anniversary of the murder of the Imperial family and at the same time the 150th anniversary of the birth of Nicholas II. A total of 1,200 copies of the jubilee mark were made. In catalogs it is sometimes called an order, but even the price of 400 rubles indicates that this is a mistake.

© Paul Gilbert. 13 July 2019

 

 

Icon of the Mother of God, “Of the Three Hands”

080a

The Icon of the Mother of God, “Of the Three Hands” belonged to Nicholas II and his family

On 11th July 2019, on the feast day of the Icon of the Mother of God, “Of the Three Hands”, Mrs. Olga Nikolaevna Kulikovsky, chairman of the Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna Charitable Foundation, attended a Divine Liturgy in the Church on the Blood in Ekaterinburg.

The Divine Liturgy was led by Metropolitan Kirill of Ekaterinburg, in front of the Icon of the Mother of God, “Of the Three Hands.” The icon belonged to the Imperial Family, who venerated the icon, during their imprisonment in the Ipatiev House in 1918. The icon was found in the basement of the house after the murder of the Tsar and his family on the night of 16/17 July 1918. In the early 1920s, through the efforts of officers loyal to the Sovereign, the icon was smuggled out of Bolshevik Russia to Denmark, and presented to Nicholas II’s mother – the Dowager Empress Maria Fedorovna. After her death in 1928, the icon was bequeathed to her youngest daughter Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna, who took it with her when she emigrated to Canada in 1948.

080b

Metropolitan Kirill of Ekaterinburg, kisses the Icon of the Mother of God, “Of the Three Hands”

In 1991, when Tikhon Nikolaevich Kulikovsky, the eldest son of Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna, learned that Russia was discussing the construction of a Memorial Church on the site of the Ipatiev House in Ekaterinburg, he addressed a letter to His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia, in which he noted that upon completion of construction, he intended to transfer the icon to the newly established church. However, Tikhon Nikolayevich was not able to fulfill his wish during his lifetime – he died on 8th April 1993. His widow Olga Nikolaevna Kulikovsky, however, carried out her husbands wish, and presented the Mother of God, “Of the Three Hands” during the solemn consecration of the Church on the Blood in 2003.

After the service, Metropolitan Kirill congratulated everyone on the holiday and the beginning of the Tsar’s Days, noting that this day marks the beginning of “Passion Week” dedicated to the memory of the Holy Royal Martyrs. His Eminence thanked Olga Nikolaevna, to whom the Church on the Blood and the Ekaterinburg Diocese acquired “a special significant icon – the image of God’s blessing on the Holy Tsar’s Family.”

Today, the icon is kept in the Upper Church of the Church on the Blood in Ekaterinburg.

080c

Mrs. Olga Kulikovsky

It should be noted, that Mrs. Olga Kulikovsky (now 93 years old), has dedicated many years to charitable activities in the name of her mother-in-law Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna. Despite her age, she continues to work actively to help clear the name of Russia’s much slandered Tsar and his family. She travels to Ekaterinburg each year to take part in the Tsars Days events, culminating with the Divine Liturgy at the Church on the Blood on the night of 16/17 July, and in Ganina Yama.

© Paul Gilbert. 12 July 2019

What kind of man was Nicholas II?

079

The following article (click HERE to read) by Georgy Manaev was published in July 12th 2019 edition of ‘Russia Beyond’. Sadly, it is yet another negative assessment of Nicholas II, filled with the same nonsense, myths and lies, which have endured for more than a century now.

Below, are my comments regarding two of Manaev’s misconceptions:

The author Georgy Manaev quotes Alexander Guchkov about the Emperor: “Are we dealing with a normal person?”, yet fails to mention that Guchkov along with Pavel Milyukov, openly discussed a treasonous plot to oust Nicholas II from the throne.

And again, Nicholas II is criticized that his diaries lack “little to no information about politics, international relations or court intrigues.”

Manaev adds: “in other words, the things that should have been of interest to a Russian tsar during one of the most difficult periods of Russian history. Instead, about 90 percent of the diary is dedicated to his daily routines.”

Like a broken record, Manaev rehashes one of the most popular criticisms against Nicholas II. 

Russian historian Alexander Nikolaevich Bokhanov (1944-2019) wrote:

“For more than 38 years, Nicholas Alexandrovich wrote a few sentences every evening in his diary. After the fall of the monarchy, both scholars and laymen began to study his diaries, interested to learn what kind of man and monarch he was. Sadly, the crushing majority of them stuck with a negative assessment of Nicholas II.

“Their conclusions, however, were based on his diaries, which in all fairness do not offer any broad historical conclusions. Nevertheless they have been made and continue to be made to the present day. In actuality, Nicholas II’s diaries are often nothing more than a daily list of meetings and events which allow one, fully and accurately, to establish only two biographical aspects about him: where he was and whom he dealt with.

“His diaries are a completely personal and official document reflecting the daily events, nothing more. His diary entries rarely reflect any emotion, and with the passage of time they disappear almost completely. Any kind of political judgement or evaluation are extremely rare.

“In keeping a diary, Nicholas II was not thinking about leaving a historical testimony for his descendants. He never would have imagined that his daily, terse, personal remarks would be studied for political purposes. Only during the last months of his life, finding himself in the degrading position of a prisoner, did he record on paper his pain for the fate of his dearly beloved Russia.”

Click HERE to listen to my interview, in which I discuss Guchkov and Milyukov, who openly discussed a treasonous plot to oust Nicholas II from the throne.

© Paul Gilbert. 12 July 2019

Photo Exhibition: Tsarskoye Selo. Residence of the Last Emperor of Russia

hdr

The opening of the photo exhibition Tsarskoye Selo. Residence of the Last Emperor of Russia was held on Friday, 5th July in the Russian Spiritual and Cultural Orthodox Center (RDPC) in Paris. The exhibit features reproductions of unique colour images of the interiors of the Alexander and Catherine Palaces, taken several months after the abdication of Nicholas II.

hdr

“Although the Imperial palaces had been nationalized by the Bolshevik government, they were left virtually intact,” said Victoria Plauda, ​​senior researcher at the Tsarskoye Selo Museum-Reserve, at the opening of the exhibition. According to her, it was thanks to the efforts of the creative intelligentsia of Petrograd, which included the artist Alexander Benois (1870-1960), the writer Maxim Gorky (1892-1936) and the singer Fedor Chaliapin (1873-1938), who collectively managed to achieve a thorough inventory of the former Imperial residences during which these photographs were taken.

hdr

The photos were taken by military photographer Andrei Zeest. The corresponding task was entrusted to him by the architect and art historian George Lukomsky, who headed the Tsarskoye Selo Artistic and Historical Commission created to preserve and protect the property of the former Palace Administration. Filming in the Catherine Palace began in June 1917, and in the Alexander Palace in August, immediately after the family of the last Russian emperor Nicholas II was exiled to Tobolsk, and continued until October of the same year.

hdr

Precision Technology

The reproductions which are currently on display in the RDPC, reflect “stunning clarity and brightness of colours” – which were amazing for that time – are particularly noteworthy. The organizers also brought 11 black-and-white photographs from the collection of the Imperial family (the originals are kept in the library of Yale University in the USA), as well as 27 auto-chromes, not made with ordinary camera film, but with the aid of special glass dies with a special coating. Due to the microscopic size of the elements (about 0.015 mm), the structure of the image is not visible even with an increase in the resulting transparency. Some visitors even asked representatives of the museum if it was just a question of copies of authentic photographs of those times, and not about modern digital photographs.

hdr

“These photos are invaluable material for us, because we have already been working on reconstructing the historic interiors of the Alexander Palace for several years. And very soon, after a few months, our visitors will see the first restored halls of the former private apartments of Nicholas II and Alexandra Feodorovna,” the museum representative added. She also noted that the auto-chromes were invaluable to restorers and artists in the recreation of decorative items and furniture for the rooms.

hdr

The photo exhibition Tsarskoye Selo. Residence of the Last Emperor of Russia runs until Sunday, 25th August 2019, in the Russian Spiritual and Cultural Orthodox Center (RDPC) in Paris. 

Difficult fate of a unique collection

The Tsarskoye Selo State Museum-Reserve currently has more than 90 auto-chromes in their collection. In fact, there were many more of them, but after 1918 the trail of some of them was lost. After Lukomsky left the post of chairman of the Artistic and Historical Commission and went abroad, 843 images from black and white negatives and 83 color slides were transferred to the Kopeyka publishing house for reproduction in a publication prepared by Lukomsky but which never came to fruition. According to Plauda, ​​Lukomsky took some pictures after he left Russia.

Only in the post-war years (late 1950s- early 1960s) was it possible to form a collection of 45 images, transferred to the Tsarskoye Selo Museum by the heirs of the photographer Zeest and a member of the Oxford club by the Englishman G. Barrat. In June 2012, the museum acquired another 48 auto-chromes at an auction organized by the Drouot auction house in Paris.

Click HERE to view MORE colour auto-chromes of the Alexander Palace

© Paul Gilbert. 8 July 2019

New Revelations on Lenin’s Order to Murder the Tsar

075a

Bolshevik leader Vladimir Lenin; Russia’s last Emperor and Tsar Nicholas II

In an interview with the media outlet Рамблер (Rambler), Russian historian Vladimir Khrustalev stated that researchers still lack access to many archival files related to the maintenance and fate of the Imperial family during their final days in Ekaterinburg.

He argues that all the documents of 1918-1919, which mentioned the name of the Romanovs, were carefully removed from all open archival funds. In his opinion, they could not be destroyed, but transferred to special stores, where they remain to this day.

Khrustalev sees no reason to doubt the ultimate tragic fate of Nicholas II and his family which befell them in the Urals on the night of 16/17 July 1918. According to Khrustalev, the purging of archival documents was undertaken by the leadership of the Communist Party in order to cover their tracks and defer any accusations that the top leadership of the Communists , represented primarily by Lenin and Sverdlov, purposefully undertook an act of regicide. After all, the Soviet official point of view for a long time was that the liquidation of the family of the last emperor was carried out on the initiative of the local Ural Soviet leaders, who issued the central power of the Bolsheviks with a fait accompli.

075b

Russian historian Vladimir Khrustalev

Until now, no order issued by Lenin, Trotsky, Sverdlov, or any other Bolshevik party member concerning the massacre of the last Russian tsar and his family has been found in the archives. According to some Russian historians, this is not because no such order was given in writing, but precisely because the order was issued verbally. This was done, so as not to leave any evidence of their heinous crimes.

First, the Bolsheviks gathered almost all the arrested Romanovs (not only Nicholas II and his family, but many of their relatives) in the Urals in order to make it easier to eliminate them. And at some time gave the appropriate order. All evidence of such an order remains in sealed archives.

© Paul Gilbert. 2 July 2019

Recreation of Furniture for Mauve (Lilac) Boudoir Underway

065g

Two views of the Mauve (Lilac) Boudoir in the Alexander Palace, as it looked in 1917

065h

Note the many photos of the Imperial family on the side table and shelves above the sofa

For those of you who have been following the restoration of the Alexander Palace, I am pleased to announce that work on the recreation of furniture for the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna’s Mauve (Lilac) Boudoir is now underway.

According to Stavros (St. Petersburg), the firm commissioned to recreate the furniture for the historic interiors of the Alexander Palace: “We are now creating pieces for the Lilac Room. These include the frame of the sofa and wall panels.”

The Mauve (Lilac) Boudoir suffered greatly during the Second World War. It was located in the suite of rooms, between the Imperial Bedroom and the Pallisander (Rosewood) Drawing Room, and did not have a separate exit to the corridor. At one time, the walls were covered with high-quality gorgon lilac silk fabric, with vertical narrow paired stripes, and the lower part was decorated with wooden panels. During the war years, the room was completely burned out, only a few photographs remind us of it’s former luxury. 

The project is part of a recreation of the Private Apartments of Emperor Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, situated in the eastern wing of the Alexander Palace. 

Since the closing of the Alexander Palace in 2015, the Tsarskoye Selo Palace Museum have been very tight lipped about the restoration itself. Very little information has been released to the media, and barely mentioned on their official website. As a result, it has been an endless source of frustration trying to obtain any reliable updates on progress of the restoration. Dates for the reopening of the palace have been delayed on numerous occasions, often simply due to the lack of funding.

According to the latest information, the restoration of the Alexander Palace as a multi-museum complex is not expected to be completed until 2022 – at the earliest!

For more information on the restoration of the Alexander Palace, please refer to my article Furniture for the interiors of the Alexander Palace to be re-created (9th March 2019)

© Paul Gilbert. 22 May 2019

Monument to Nicholas II at Vasilievsky Palace in Vyritsa

059

The Vasilievsky Palace

Situated on the left bank of the Oredezh River in the village of Vyritsa (70 km from St. Petersburg), stands the Vasilievsky Palace (also called the Vasiliev Brothers Mansio), a tiny yet equally luxurious replica of the Catherine Palace in Pushkin (Tsarskoye Selo).

The mansion was built in 2005–2006 by the St. Petersburg architect Igor Nikolaevich Gremitsky (1939–2015) and is intended for functions and receptions of high-ranking guests. The design and decor are intended to impress visitors with it’s unique architectural styles, such as the size of the rooms, height of the ceilings (the ceiling in the Grand Hall measures 14 meters or 46 feet), the solemnity of the marble staircase, and the lavish decoration of the interiors. Only natural materials and old technologies were used for decoration. 

The mansion is considered the first true marble palace in the vicinity of St. Petersburg. The area of ​​mosaic marble floors covers 600 square meters. The columns, fireplaces and pilasters are made of marble in the hall, foyer, the walls of the first floor, stairs and sculptures created by the best masters of Italy and Russia. The second floor is conceived in the form of open galleries which frame an oval double-light hall which create a large visual space. The central gallery is decorated with five-meter black marble knights. The palace complex also has a chapel, a miniature version of the one in the Catherine Palace at Tsarskoye Selo.

Click HERE to view 20 colour photos of the lavish interiors of Vasilievsky Palace.

059b

Column bearing monument of Nicholas II 

The mansion is situated on a site measuring 400 x 400 meters in size, on which a landscaped park is laid out, containing fountains, marble sculptures, cannons, and a summer arbor. A column was erected in front of the palace, with a sculptural composition which features a guardian angel supporting the last Emperor and Tsar Nicholas II with his right hand, and bearing an Orthodox cross with his left. The Emperor is depicted holding the Imperial Sceptre with his left hand, his right hand placed on his heart.

According to official documents this plot of land is owned by the International Entrepreneurial Company Litvin Limited.

The “unofficial owner” of the palace is St. Petersburg businessman Sergey Vasilievich Vasiliev, co-owner of Petersburg Oil Terminal CJSC (POT), who was born in Vyritsa in 1955. Vasiliev has controlled the automotive market in St. Petersburg, since the 1990s. His initials – “SVV” – are clearly displayed in a cartouche over the main entrance to the mansion.

In Vyritsa, the Vasilyev brothers sponsored the reconstruction of the church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God and a number of other historical monuments.

© Paul Gilbert. 14 May 2019