PHOTO: Hieromonk Mark (Svyatogorov) performing the Divine Liturgy
On 16th March 2026, a Divine Liturgy in memory of the abdication of the Emperor-Passion-Bearer Nicholas II and the miraculous appearance of the Reigning Icon of the Mother of God was celebrated in the Church of the Saviour Not Made by Hands [aka the Grand Church] in the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg.
The service was performed by the rector, Hieromonk Mark (Svyatogorov), co-served by the brethren of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra, which is situated in St. Petersburg, and the clergy of the Diocese of St. Petersburg.
PHOTOS: Hieromonk Mark (Svyatogorov) performing the Divine Liturgy
PHOTOS: Hieromonk Mark (Svyatogorov) performing the Divine Liturgy
Praying at the service were the Director of the State Hermitage Museum Mikhail Piotrovsky, museum staff and parishioners of the Annunciation Metochion of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra.
Hymns of the Byzantine tradition were performed by a combined choir of singers under the direction of Alexei Zhukov.
PHOTO: parishioners of the Annunciation Metochion of the Alexander Nevsky Lavra.attend the Divine Liturgy in the Winter Palace church
PHOTO: the choir performs Byzantine hymns for the Diving Liturgy held in the Winter Palace church
“This church remembers various events in our history,” Father Mark said in his sermon. – “Acts of peace were announced here, unfortunately, war was also declared. In this church, in difficult and joyful, difficult and solemn times, the tsar’s thoughts, prayers, and tears were lifted up to God. Here the heirs to the throne were baptized and members of the imperial family were married. Every time we gather here for a divine service, we are all overwhelmed by an extraordinary uplift. We feel a part of the great events of history. We will be grateful that we have the opportunity to serve in this beautiful church, lift up prayers and approach the Holy Mysteries.”
During the kissing of the cross, the choir sang an ancient Christian hymn written in the 4th century by St. Ambrose of Milan, to the music of the court composer Dmitry Bortnyansky, who composed it especially for the Great Church of the Winter Palace.
PHOTO: parishoners gather for a group photo following the Divine Liturgy
The Church of the Saviour Not Made by Hands [aka the Grand Church] in the Winter Palace was consecrated on 25th July 1763 by Archbishop Gabriel in the name of the image of the Savioir (painted by Theodot Ukhtomsky, 1693), which was located in the prayer room at the altar. After the renovation, it was consecrated again in 1839 by Metropolitan Philaret. The Maltese shrines presented to Emperor Paul I were kept here, and every year they were transferred to the Pavlovsk Cathedral in Gatchina for a month. In October 1917, the church was damaged during the storming of the Winter Palace by the Bolsheviks and was closed in 1918. On 9th December 2014, the Grand Church was opened to visitors after restoration, and on 25th December of the same year, the first Divine Liturgy in 96 years was served. The Church of the Saviour Not Made by Hands was consecrated by the priestly rite.
PHOTO: view of the the Church of the Savior Not Made by Hands in the Winter Palace. On the right hangs a painting depicting the wedding of Emperor Nicholas II and Alexandra Feodorovna, painted by Laurits Tuxen.
Recall that on 27th (O.S. 14th) November 1894, the wedding of Emperor Nicholas II and Grand Duchess Alexandra Feodorovna [future Empress Alexandra Feodorovna took place in the Church of the Saviour Not Made by Hands – the home church of the Imperial family – in the Winter Palace
The modest wedding ceremony took place in an atmosphere of deep mourning for the deceased Emperor Alexander III. Due to court mourning, there was no reception, nor honeymoon, with Nicholas and Alexandra going to reside with his mother and brother at the Anichkov Palace in St. Petersburg.
FURTHER READING
130th anniversary of the Wedding of Nicholas II and Alexandra Feodorovna, 1894 + PHOTOS
© Paul Gilbert. 17 March 2026









You must be logged in to post a comment.