On 19th August 2026, a new monument to Emperor Nicholas II and his family was unveiled and consecrated on the grounds of the Church of of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, situated in the village of Bely Yar, Surgut district.
The opening of the monument is timed to the 135 years ago, the heir to the throne visited Ugra.during a trip across the Russian Empire following his Eastern Journey (1890-91).
Historical documents in the district archives note: “On 21st (O.S. 8th) July, 1891, at 5 o’clock in the evening, the heir to the throne, Tsesarevich and Grand Duke Nicholas Alexandrovich [future Emperor Nicholas II], arrived at the Beloyarsk wharf, which is seven versts from Surgut, on the steamer “Nikolai“.
The consecration of the bronze sculpture of the Holy Royal Passion-Bearers was performed by Metropolitan Pavel of Khanty-Mansiysk and Surgut.
The opening and consecration ceremony was attended by the Governor of Ugra Ruslan Kukharuk, co-founder of the Sibpromstroy group of companies Nikolai Storozhuk, as well as local politicians of the Surgut district.
“The opening and consecration of the monument is one of the most important moments in the construction of the temple complex,” the Holy Trinity Cathedral of Surgut reported. “The monument is designed to remind us of love for the Motherland and the desire for a pious life. The Royal Passion-Bearers – Nicholas II, Alexandra Feodorovna and their children – became a symbol of family fidelity and spiritual fortitude. Their canonization [on 20th August 2000] tells us about the importance of mercy, humility and trust in God even in the most difficult trials.”
Construction of the Church of of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God began in the 2010s. The domes and crosses on the building were installed at the end of 2018, work on the interiors and landscaping are currently near completion.
© Paul Gilbert. 19 August 2026



You must be logged in to post a comment.